Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What if you don't DO IT NOW ?????



As everyone went gaga over “Zindagi na milegi dobara” I couldn’t resist my temptation to go and watch it (not that the trio of lead actors was not appealing enough). The viral fever of the movie was just too much to ignore and there I was with a packet of Uncle Chipps in my hand, ready for the movie.  I would do a grave injustice to my  honesty if I admit that the movie blew me over. It didn’t, yes.... that’s what it is. I wasn’t all “ O Wow ! what a movie”. But one thing is for sure. The movie sure got me thinking....thinking not about something that I have never thought about; but to think of something which I, actually we all, in a way, think about most of the time. I guess, that’s a lot of “thinking” and “thought”:P

But that’s the thing! It’s all about the inexplicable, incomprehensible, the baffling and perplexing “WHAT IF!”
What if I don’t get this job? What if I lose this job? What if my girlfriend rejects me? What if my Dad doesn’t accept my choice of career? What if I make a mistake? What if..........????

This and loads of other “What ifs” float in our mind all the time, without even our realizing it. All our decisions, all our actions seem to be contingent upon outcome of certain pre-conceived scenarios. What we do and/or what we don’t do inevitably depend upon a seemingly foreseeable outcome. I see “seemingly” because that what they end up being....Outcomes that “seem” to be something else but their exact nature is not known. Ironically, most part of our lives is spent in “weighing up” the analysis of our actions and still we blame “impulse” for most of the screw-ups in our lives.....

Close your eyes for just a minute and think when was it that you truly did something on “impulse”, just because you “WANTED TO DO IT”, just because your heart said “GO FOR IT”....didn’t give even a second’s thought to any kind of “what if”! There would hardly be anyone among us who unabashedly and forthrightly takes that leap of faith. We are often fettered by the chains of numerous “what ifs” surrounding us and checking our flight to fantasy at each juncture, curtailing us from exploring the widest sky and the farthest horizon.

Each one of us has that one, tiniest, littlest seed of desire within us. That one thing which we have always wanted to do, always wanted to say, always wanted to feel...That desire of “I WISH” that all of us subconsciously nurture in the deepest recesses of our hearts. For once, let go of all the “what ifs”, loosen yourself from the shackles of fear and apprehension.  I would take a cue from some of the best lines of the movie I mentioned in the beginning.... lines which left me motionless and wide eyed and yet stirred every chord of my heart:

Jo apni aankhon mein
Hairaniyan leke chal rahe ho
Toh zinda ho tum
Dilon mein tum apni
Betaabiyan leke chal rahe ho
Toh zinda ho tum............



And as Ayush would put it..."ab nahi toh kab" !!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Weighing pros and cons, thinking about contingencies, that's all good most of the time. But once in a while, one shud just do things and let go. Thankfully, I have a few college friends who remind me of the need to be spontaneous.I loved the movie btw :)

    ReplyDelete